Research Software Engineer Permanent Job1 month ago - Engineering - Oslo - 19 views
As a Research Software Engineer, you will provide scientific and technical software development and support service to researchers within the Department of Geosciences at the University of Oslo. You will work on research projects from conception to completion, gathering requirements, helping with grant applications, implementing and documenting as required. This includes: advising and assisting scientists with development, modification, optimization and management of Research Software, development of workflows, visualization of simulation results, development of new algorithms, and support of science data management high performance computing. You will be responsible for providing software engineering expertise to researchers and research projects on engagements from a few days to many months in duration.
You will also contribute to developing the knowledge and skills within the research community of the Department of Geosciences at all stages of the research software development cycle by providing hands-on technical training, coaching sessions, and promoting the adoption of best practices. Parts of your work will involve processing of large satellite datasets and you will collaborate with space agencies such as ESA, NASA, the Norwegian Space Centre, and with space industry. In addition you may work with complex and heterogeneous datasets from aerial platforms for photogrammetry and numerical models.
We are interested in receiving applications from people who have experience in the complete software engineering lifecycle, software carpentry, in general, and who have a passion for supporting researchers. A scientific background in computational geosciences, physics or satellite remote sensing is an advantage, and we are particularly keen to receive applications from people who have experience in the areas of High Performance Computing, Data Science, numerical modeling, remote sensing, statistics and Data Management. The ideal candidate should be able to demonstrate proficiency with one or more programming languages such as Python, R, C, C++, Fortran, MatLAB, IDL and Shell.
- The position as Senior Engineer requires that the candidate holds a Master’s degree within Geoscience or a related field. Candidates with PhD in computational geosciences or physics, geo-informatics or a related field will be preferred.
- Strong background in Computer Sciences.
- Proficiency in one or more programming languages such as Matlab, Python, R, C, C++, Fortran and/or Shell scripting
- Experience with handling and processing large data volumes, for instance model output or satellite data
- Experience with high-performance computing
- Good knowledge of Software Development Methodologies and Software Carpentry workflows
- Good written and oral scientific communication skills in English
- Proven ability to communicate effectively with researchers and colleagues (whatever their IT ability)
- In addition, it is desirable to have:
- Experience in managing, compiling and running large numerical codes written in different programming languages
- Experience with implementation of remote sensing algorithms
- Experience with embedded systems programming
- Experience with implementing Machine Learning algorithms
- Teaching experience
salary NOK 517 700 to 569 000 per annum depending on qualifications in a position as Senior Engineer, position code 1181
attractive welfare benefits and a generous pension agreement, in addition to Oslo’s family-friendly environment with its rich opportunities for culture and outdoor activities
How to apply
The application must include:
- cover letter statement of motivation
- CV (summarizing education, positions and academic work)
- copies of educational certificates (academic transcripts only)
- list of reference persons: 2-3 references (name, relation to candidate, e-mail and phone number)
- The application (evt.) with attachments must be delivered in our recruiting system.
Associate Professor Sebastian Westermann, [email protected],
Senior Engineer Michel Heeremans, [email protected], +47-22856615
For technical questions about the recruitment system, please contact HR Adviser Torunn Standal Guttormsen, [email protected], +47 22854272